Shuning Yan ’13 Cohort 4

Interview by Bingqing Li ’14

shuning yan

Which of your activities or involvements do you feel most proud of, or which do you think had the most impact?

By the end of junior year I got really interested in consulting and wanted to potentially pursue a career in this field. However, there is very limited resources on campus related to consulting, especially case practice. So instead of giving up on the idea, I started the BiCo Consulting club with another friend with similar interest. Starting a club wasn’t easy but I’m glad I have been able to see it grow from an idea all the way into a full fledged bi-co club. Apart from just pre-professional training, we are also involving our students to do consulting on campus for some real life consulting exposure.

How did you figure out what you wanted to get involved in? (campus and career) And what you wanted to major in? Was there a pivotal moment?

Major: For me, math was a very natural thing to consider to be majoring in. I have always loved mathematics, especially applied math and modeling. Bryn Mawr also has great programs in supporting woman in mathematical research, so without a doubt I became a math major.

Career: At the end of junior year, I was actually getting really anxious about what to do after graduation and the whole job searching process. I realized finance wasn’t really the area that particularly interested me but I wasn’t sure what other equally challenging field I could do. It’s so funny looking back at how I approached this. I actually did some online personality testing and it turns out I am a good consultant. After doing more research into the field, I realized this is exactly what I have been looking for. A field that is challenging, great learning experience, and best of all, a place that I can make positive impact on businesses and people’s lives. From there I spent the summer preparing myself and was able to land a job in this field.

What advice would you give to an underclassman?

I was say explore your options when you are young. Worrying too much about what to do after college strips away the fun of exploring and finding where your true passion lies. After all, isn’t this the essence of liberal arts education?

Also, I would recommend anyone to read the NY Times or Times magazine to stay on top of what is going on around the world. There is so much more happening than what we see on campus and it is necessary to stay in touch with the rest of the world and truly be a global citizen.

Finally I would say talk with people from different backgrounds. We are enjoying a benefit of having a great diversity on campus and you can utilize this resources to expand your understanding of society.

A final general advice: GO STUDY ABROAD! The picture in the attachment was taken in Burgos, Spain. Traveling helps a person grow in ways that often are surprising, and I must say I had the best semester studying abroad in Spain